Thursday, April 4, 2013

Back to Ubud

Back in Ubud, and back at Sugars Villas for another week of relaxing, and this time to show Memere around.  We were in the one villas (of 3) that we hadn't stayed in yet, and we were greeted by a HUGE spider.. who moved from one good spot to another and back over the course of the week.. which we were okay with, as long as s/he didn't decide that INSIDE the villa was a good spot.  We also had some other unexpected company in the villa, but I'll tell you about that later.

First stop: culture at the Palace in the center of Ubud
 
We got lucky and happened upon traditional dance classes (probably practicing for that night's performance, as there are many all over town).  Girls and boys dance differently and practice separately:




 
We were having fun!
 
Ubud also had great shopping and terrific food.  We made sure to pace ourselves so we had to stop for a number of lattes (and ice cream), and at Michele's confiture for a crepe with some of her homemade jelly made of local fruits. We highly recommend Kebun and Three Monkeys for lunch. And save room for dessert. Ubud center is very hippie touristy with a definite Hindu feeling

 

And beautiful things everywhere..

Also offerings all over the streets.. careful not to step on them or kick them!
 
 

 
We happened to be there just a few weeks before Nyepi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyepi), so everyone was getting their ogoh ogoh ready.. here's one in progress:
Bali is known for its spirits and black magic, and people all have multiple temples in their homes where they give offerings several times day to keep things peaceful. Apparently Sugars Villas needs to install a third one because there are some folks who want something and are trying to make it known.  I was up late almost every night working, and one night I looked up from my computer around 2am and it felt like hundreds of people had joined me on the veranda.  It was so overhwelming.. I had goosebumps everywhere, so I did what any sane person would do and went to bed. Talking to the owner the next day, he said, "Oh, you saw them too? Next time, can you please ask them what they want?  They won't come to me, and we are happy to give them what they want, but I don't know what it is."  WHAT?!?  You gave me the haunted villa???  But we were settled in so we didn't want to move over a few hundred needy spirits, and we were brave.  The next night, there were probably 50 people with me around 1am, so I again decided to go to bed.  Brushed teeth, got into bed, turned out the light.. and SOMEONE WAS FEELING UP MY LEGS.  I jumped up, turned on the lights.  No one.  Turned off the lights, and Eben started pushing someone away.  So I grabbed him and snuggled him, and we fell asleep. That solved that. Didn't need a third time, and I had decided I was too chicken to ask what they wanted.. so I went to bed early.  This time, Mom got up twice in the night to someone knocking on the window.  When she looked out, no one was there.  And that was out last night there.. and now we know which villas not to stay in at Sugars.  If you're nice to me, I'll tell you which one it is :)

No comments:

Post a Comment