As I mentioned long ago in a post about traffic in the Big Durian (aka Jakarta), there are gatrillions of motorbikes on the streets here, swarming like bees around the cars and buses. Really - they fill every available space on the road. Because of this, they are able to go around go much faster than larger vehicles. They also get clobbered much more often, not surprisingly. There are many of these that are motorbike taxis, they are called ojeks. I could tell when Zeric had taken one home from his language class because he would walk in earlier than usual, with flat hair (each ojek has a helmet for passengers - ew), and smelling like exhaust.
Well, the other night I was at a meeting (yes, working!) and I got out around 6:30pm in the center of town. Not a chance of finding a cab. I stood, I flagged, I waited. And finally, I accepted the offer of an ojek driver. Holy CRAP. When I wasn't texting my last wishes to Zeric, I had my eyes closed. Or I was yelping (trying not scream). I did have to snap a few pictures for you. I was so glad when it was over. And it took 20 minutes, instead of 2 hours. Maybe I'll get my own helmet :)
No comments:
Post a Comment