Here's the email I sent to my friends
So Lou organized a dinner a few weeks ago at Turkuaz (if you haven’t been, you should go – fab food and great decor!), and when it came time for dessert - they were out of baklava. [Perhaps you heard me gasp at that moment and just didn’t know what that sound was that was coming from across town.] As you know, I have a thing about baked goods.. and so I tried to convince Sezai (the owner) to teach me how to make it. A trade secret apparently, and he was reluctant. I offered a couple of things in exchange for a lesson (some to Zeric’s dismay), including cash. He offered instead to teach me and 9 of my closest friends how to cook Turkish food (including baklava). Call it a harem if you must.. but he offered to show us and feed us lunch for 400,000 rupiah each.
And so, last Tuesday , me and 8 of my foodie girlfriends showed up at Turkuaz for our class. It was fabulous, and the lunch that resulted was even better. [As of as far as I can tell up until now, I am still the only one who teaches a food class where the participants touch the food before they eat it.]
Most importantly, we now have the secret of making baklava. It's all in the syrup. That's all I can tell you without having to hand you over the Sezai.
So we made babaganoush, baked chicken with saffron, rice and peas, and BAKLAVA. And they have fantastic bread!!
So we made babaganoush, baked chicken with saffron, rice and peas, and BAKLAVA. And they have fantastic bread!!
No comments:
Post a Comment