A week later,
I have mostly recovered from my first experience trying to make croissants. From now on, we will buy them. Making croissants from scratch had to be one of the most patience-requiring things I have done in the kitchen in a long time. You start with a pretty normal dough, and a butter block. Usually, I can get zen with repetitive stuff... but the fold-roll-chill, fold-roll-chill, fold-roll-chill, fold-roll-chill not only took a whole day, but it was anxiety provoking because as the layers of dough got thinner, the butter got more and more unweildy.. and eventually, both myself and the kitchen were pretty slippery. But, we perservered. After all, what else are you going to do with 3 pounds of buttery dough? I figured it couldn't have turned out too badly!
I ended up making so much dough that I made a lot of croissants, pastries with chocolate ganache inside as well as some with marscapone icing. I also took all of the ends and messes of dough and rolled in parmesan and made wheels and sticks.
It was a hugely productive day.. and pretty exhausting. Luckily, Zeric was more than happy to rub my feet in exchange for warm croissants for his belly. And we froze some.
..which means that we made new friends by sharing with loads of people!
Zoey was absolutely heroic on this effort. We were just amazed at how long the whole process took. But in the end, it was worth it. Who does all that rolling in France? They must have a machine, or immense patience.
ReplyDelete