Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Bead heaven

This is one of those things that I should have done months ago.  It was like getting a fix for me.. a relaxing, amazing breath of .. color and texture .. and my brain completely preoccupied thinking of all of the combinations.  It's all about Ibu Yekti and her beads. She grew up as an Indonesian diplomat's daughter in Brussels, Moscow, and Jeddah going to the French schools in each place.  Speaks English with a French accent.  Beautiful and warm and poised, and soooo welcoming.  In a fabulously beautiful house.  Another one that makes me jealous and gives me that twinge of claustrophobia about living on a compound.  Nevermind that.  She explained that some people come to her place with piles of dresses or other beads that they need to match.  Then they pick their beads and her maids (her word, not mine) string them for you.  I just sat and opened and closed drawers, and chose, and bought.  I like to sit down with good music and do the work myself, thinking about the person I'm making for and trying to make whatever it is look just like her.

Yekti's beads are made by the men who make prayer beads, only they copy the pictures she gives them.  Some of her pictures are of the original trade beads that came from Europe (Venice, mostly) and went to Africa for slaves and gold, America for land, and here, for spices.  Some pictures are from the bead book (thanks, Poosh, I have mine here!), including some of the Roman checkered beads that I have never seen before. And there are so so so many that are all colors, shapes, and sizes.  She even makes her own millefiore.. some designs as the ones I have from Africa, but some are actually purple :) And they are all made out of recycled glass.  Lots of them are made from old perfume bottles, but the clear ones are made from lightbulbs, and the green are made from wine bottles.  


 

I also asked specifically about where to get good silver beads, clasps, earring wires.. and she said that all of the stuff in Jakarta is imported and not very good quality.  It's expensive to get things custom made from jewellers so really my only choice is to go to Bali and buy there.  I knew I liked her!

I left after 2 hours with about a pound of strands and silver and handfuls and singles for about $30.  It was AWESOME.  I'll be going back soon.  Wanna come??
 

No comments:

Post a Comment