Monday, March 30, 2015

Batik-on-Skin, Part 1

So, as with all my tattoos, this new one has meaning.  In a nutshell, it's all about my own growth in the last four years here in Indonesia.  It's been beautiful and not-linear and kinda wandering.  More on that in person with a glass in each of our hands.  This post is about the process :)
 
First, Lou suggested that we go to the Batik Museum.  Great idea!  I'd never been although she and Mom went a few years ago.  So, off we went.  We saw so many beautiful traditional batik patterns.. and I took lots of pictures.






 
Then we went to the library because Lou knew that there were books of patterns, like guide books.. so we found those, and found these:
 



 

So I sent these to Danang, the awesome tattoo artist (having already talked to him about what I was thinking), and he sent this back:


 
 YES!!!
except that I changed my mind and didn't want it on my back.. lest I become a walking botanical garden.  So, we revised.. and here's how the first piece went:

the sketch:

the visitors and the inspiration that resulted in Lou getting some impromptu ink work done herself..

 
 the inking.. two-sided, one more permanent than the other

and, the result;


Stay tuned for Part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment