Thursday, May 10, 2012

Wanna be Lady Gaga? Come to Indonesia!

It's true, she's performing in Jakarta on June 3rd.   But really?  Anyone can be Lady Gaga in Jakarta. This post has been in the works for a long time. I've been collecting pictures ince we've gotten here. 
pre-deal scowling
You see, Indonesians are super friendly, and they mostly like bule (pronounced boolay, meaning white people - you know muzungu, toubab, vaza, all that).  They especially like kids, kids with light and/or curly hair and not dark eyes.  The two favorite things they like to do to them?  Pinch their cheeks, and have their picture taken with them.  [On the former point, refer to the sign about touching on the recent turtle posting.]
So... given that our children meet all of the requirements to pinched and photographed, it happens a lot.  And they hate it. Well, they used to. There are a lot of pictures on Indonesians' cameras of my kids scowling.  Until our trip to Batavia.  I was sick apologizing for grouchy kids so I made them a deal: for every nice picture, you get a piece of candy.  It has to be a nice smile, and you have to have been nice to the people.  Deal.  We started this mid-way through our day, and by 2pm they earned SEVEN pieces each.  And I paid up in the M&Ms that Aunt Tirzy sent in ther latest care package.  Keep 'em coming, Lope!!
Jaffa was in on the deal, Eben not yet..
Then I decided to take pictures of people taking pictures of my kids.  I mean, it's fair, right?
Here's one where I got both sides.. and Colin and Copa too!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
...and then I turned around at Batavia, and Memere turned into Lady Gaga!!!  First, her fan club was rather small..
then it grew...
and grew some more!
So I owed her 3 cocktails!! [See posting on Gin fizzes.. yummmmmmmm]
Stay posted.. I'm going to keep taking pictures of people taking pictures of my family for as long as I'm feeding my kids candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment