Thursday, May 10, 2012

Hindi electric slide

One of the things that has surprised me here in Indonesia is the presence of contemporary Asian culture.  So obviously I expect all of the traditional stuff: the food, the batik, the great carving and weaving and music.  I even expect the new funky art and the fashion designers that do great stuff with batik (and distinctly NOT batik).  I enjoy hearing about the pop bands and trying to understand their songs on the radio.  Didn't really expect the craze over the Korean boy bands.. and the real mind-bender was watching a huge crowd in Batavia square do the Hindi electric slide.  Same concept as what some of you all do at weddings at home, but Bollywood music and lots more hand movement and wobble heads. 

So... Indian music and dance, in a line, in public in Jakarta.  Ya? Not bad.. just weird.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment