Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Wry rye


After some serious challah-making and bagel-making when Memere was here last, she sent some rye flour across the oceans.  I'm not going to mention how many more times the postage cost than the flour itself.. but we love having it!  I first used it for some fantastic pancakes and then I finally got brave and made my first loaf of non-challah bread.  It took 8 hours, and the finale was that I did the whole mist the loaf/hot skillet in the oven with ice cubes thing to get SERIOUS crust.

And then we ate it fo dinner with grueyere and turkey sausage.  It was great (if I do say so myself, though the bar isn't too high with a warm loaf of bread!).  The kids liked it, and really liked knowing that Grandpa Jon used to love rye bread too.  Maybe I'll get brave again and even get out the cloche!

No comments:

Post a Comment