After early Halloween at school we were invited to no fewer than six other parties--a testimony to not only the fact that we are making some friends here, but that people in Jakarta are very enthusiatic about getting dressed up and playing scary games. And that six doesn't count the themed kids activities at every restaurant we went to: face-painting, cookie decorating, coloring cat/bat/monster pictures... and the very elaborate costumes worn by the waitstaff. Jaffa loved seeing all of the princesses, Eben took notes on the other Zorro costumes to improve his own, and I almost puked when I saw the zombie with the white eyeball (thankfully that was before I drank that lichi martini).
So we went to two parties, trick or treated twice, and then decided to have our OWN party. So there. There was a rationale that I won't bore you with.. suffice it to say it had to do with the politics of living on a small compound of Americans with opinions.


Our friend Pammi (Canadian, not American) was at our party and is amazing when it comes to entertaining kids. She did the "guess what was in the witch's cauldron" game, but the kids caught on pretty quick. There were brains (of course. noodles.), teeth (corn), fingers (boiled carrots), eyeaballs (of course again. litchies!!). We then played "turn your friend into a mummy". There really are so many uses for toilet paper at parties. We missed the eyeball on a spoon relay race because the kids were too ready to decorate their cupcakes.
Zoey and Emily ; Adam and Toni; Lou and Sri, and cupcakes
I am happy to report that the grown-ups had a good time at this party too--partly attributable to the bat blood punch with floating eyeballs (do you sense a litchie theme?), as well as to the cooler full of Stella and Leffe. Both of the latter run in the 'as expensive and hard to find as cheese' category. [In case you are wondering, I was a fallen angel. Thus, the black eye. Figured I would try something wild and different for an evening.]
| spooky jack-o-lantern by Zeric |
Our Halloween celebrations finally ended on November 4th. Phew.
No comments:
Post a Comment