Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Food Part 5 - K is for kopi

Indonesia has coffee.  Lots of kinds of coffee, and is known for the civet cat coffee (see http://indocivetcoffee.com/).  Here it's called luwak and it's about $30 for a cup.  Haven't tried it yet.  Just some weird aversion to cat poop, I guess. 



I feel like I need to come clean, though.  We've tried a number of local beans and a number of roasts.. but in my cupboard at the moment is Starbucks Kenyan beans.  And I did buy them here.  And they are cheaper than the local coffee.  And, yes, I feel like I'm betraying the Indonesian coffee industry.  Zeric likes the Merdika Aceh blend and some of the beans from Papua.  I don't yell in the morning when he puts those in my cup.. though there were a couple of mornings where the consensus on the blend was (as my dad used to call it) "pipi de chat".  That now has a whole new meaning with the civet thing.. but that's not what we were talking about.  When the boxed milk overrides the flavor of the beans.. you realize it's a Diet Coke kind of morning. 

The really great thing about this coffee production is the coffee culture here. There really are coffee shops all over the place [ehm, with free wifi].  It's GREAT.  I can't say I've spent a ton of time in them, but in my own mind, I'm gonna.  With a real book and everything.  Someday.


Did I mention that people take their coffee seriously here?  We are missing what looks to be a very terrific coffee class this weekend because I will be in Yogyakarta buying silver things while mom buys batik (and we whizz by a few temples). 


We also really rocked the kids' world when we ran across a bunch of coffee bushes up in Puncak a few weeks ago.  What?! Coffee grows on trees?  Imagine..


 Coffee beans and flowers, and The Tree 
Memere.. waaaaay off in the distance with more trees.

The final product, in Jakarta's Chinatown

So come, come have a cup of Java with us!

1 comment:

  1. pipi de chat! i need to start using that one on a more regular basis.

    ReplyDelete