Here are a few shots of the city as we were driving.. I've been likening it to NYC in terms of size and character of neighborhoods, but I know nothing yet so I reserve the right to revise that perception. Notice though that Uncle Kevin can come visit, there is a McDonald's on every corner AND there are 24-hour MickyD delivery motorcycles that cover the whole city [will get a photo of that too]. They are huge and fancy.. competing with KFC ... ick ick ick. Hoping that J&E don't notice the monster play places inside of each one as we've already had to explain once why they have never eaten at any of these on any continent. I think I'll die if one of their classmates ever decides to host a birthday party at one of them. That won't happen at a French school, right?!
Finally, my favorite sign to date, look closely:
It's not really what you think. They don't really cook cat here. At least not in Jakarta.
More of these to come, I'm sure.
Jakarta is notorious for its traffic, and so we are learning to organize our lives around it. So far we have not had to sit in 3-hour jams (but then again, it hasn't started raining everyday yet). I am working on getting a car potty for when that day comes. We already have the snack box. I'm thinking about a car cooler. It did rain a little the other day and Zeric came on on a motorcycle taxi.. he was soaked but in one piece. That's all I know about it, and that's all I want to know about it. Eben and woot do have a great coping mechanism for traffic, however.
I would drive here. I would, if we got an automatic and if they got rid of the motorcycles. I get it.. it's cheaper than a car, and it's faster than a car. And you really CAN fit your whole family on one. We've seen 4 people on one motorcycle. [I'll get a picture of that an add it.] Doesn't usually involved helmets on the kids--and Eben always has something to say about how dangerous it is to be without a motorcycle. Can't wait till he learns Bahasa, then I'll roll down the window and let him lecture. The thing is, the morotcycles are allowed anywhere on the road, including both sides of your car. I hide my eyes and let Pak Supono (our very safe, patient driver) deal with it. He is awesome.
No comments:
Post a Comment