Friday, June 3, 2016

UNHAS

It's hard to get around DRC.  The roads are terrible (more on that after our road trip tomorrow),
and there are few flights.  And they aren't using the river much anymore.  In some ways, it's good. 
It's harder to exploit the country if you can't get stuff out (minerals, timber).  But it makes it really
 hard to reach people who need reaching.
 
UNHAS (The United Nations Humanitarian Air Service) is one way to get around more or less
 reliably.  So up I was in the dark to be ready for my 4:40 pick up.  Poor Jaffa was awake too, sad to
 see me leaving again. After many snuggles, and turning her over to her dad for more, I threw my
 stuff in my bag and headed to the special airport. The process of checking in was pretty interesting,
 just beside the MONUSCO soldiers.. and here's the flight board.
 

We're the second one from the bottom - Kinshasa to Mbuji Mayi.. then onwards.


Everything went smoothly, an hour later (all of which I slept through with my mouth open),
we landed in Mbuji Mayi.


No comments:

Post a Comment