Thursday, January 24, 2013

Zeric turns 50, part 2

 A few days before the big day, two things had converged to make me realize that I needed to have a second celebration for Zeric: 1) Mom had sent really fun 50th birthday party stuff, and 2) I learned that Zeric was leaving for a weeklong trip to Papua at 5am Monday morning, and not Sunday afternoon.  And so, I invited a bunch of friends to join us for cake around 4pm. 
 
And when people emailed back that they were coming.. I realized how many I had invited.  About 50.
 
So... (after I panicked) I decided that I would make him a cake for each decade of his life.  And I did:
 
chocolate with raspberries

pineapple upside-down
flan

German chocolate - his request
 
vanilla cheesecake with chocolate crust and peanut butter topping
Somewhere around lunch, Eben spied the scones from breakfast on the table and asked, "Are those for the big surprise party for Daddy?"  Oooooooops!!  Jaffa's eyes got really big and she yelled, "Eben!!!!", then his eyes got really big and he clapped his hand over his mouth. Then Jaffa asked, "Daddy, did you hear that?"  Zeric answered (while giving me a big eyeball), "Hear what?!"  Jaffa wiped her forehead with her arm and said, "PHEW!".  Eben wiped his forehead with his arm and said, "PHEW!"
 
But really, with five cakes going on in the kitchen.. he had a hunch something was up. Before Eben's scone question, when Zeric asked what all the baking was for I told him it was around that time of the month when I was craving chocolate and he needed to leave me alone.  He didn't buy it.
 
But, as is usual for Zeric, he was a great sport about a sudden change in plans. He even put on the t-shirt that memere send for him.. and solicited signatures!! The house got fuller and fuller and finally, it was time to light ALL of the candles. Good thing we had five cakes! We recruited five people an five lighters to help..
 
 
Ta da!

 
And then he had to huff and puff
 
 
and huff and puff

and huff and puff
 
and huff and puff (face is getting red)
 
and huff and puff


 
and... blew them all out!
 
In the end, he was pretty happy about the celebration.
He helped clean up, and then brewed beer.
And then got in a cab to the airport at 3am.


Happy Birthday, Zeric, and cheers to many more!!
 

1 comment:

  1. oooh, I miss your flan. well, no need to mention that I miss u and kids.:D Happy birthday,Zeric.

    ReplyDelete