Sunday, January 10, 2016

Our bonobo cousins at Lola Ya Bonobo

Lola Ya Bonobo means Bonobo Paradise, and these wonderful people rescue bonobos from all over the country.  Congolese have quite an appetite for monkey, but they also think it's pretty funny to put them in cages.  Glad that there are organizations working to end all of this.  We were happy to go see their good work.
 

 
Bonobos are unique to DRC, and here's where they can be found:

"Killing, eating, capturing, buying, selling, or owning a Great Ape is illegal."

So, while these beautiful animals were mistaken for chimpanzees for a long time, they are actually their own kind of monkey.  They are beautiful and I wish we had had more time with them, and that we could have gotten close (though I know we shouldn't wish for such things as they are still wild animals).  You can just feel that they feel the same things we do.. like this mama and her baby.

The sanctuary is very well protected and has a large enclosed area for the bonobos.  Don't be worried about the fence.. that's to keep us out of their special place!  This woman is the alpha of a particular group, as bonobos (unlike chimps) are matriarchal--and as a result, a much more peaceful society.  Don't mess with her, though.  We had some bananas to share, and she wasn't feeling all too patient about waiting for them to be tossed over the fence.  Note the handful of sand in her hand that she would threaten to pelt us with if we didn't hand them over!  I like her. I think we would be friends.

This is an older gentleman, probably around 35 years old. 
Great muscles!!

Another mama and her baby, hanging out.

I like him too..


Our hot and sweaty monkeys..

And there was the nursery for rescued babies learning to be bonobos again.  They each have their (human) mom that stays with them 24/7 until they are able to integrate into a pack.  Many of them arrive so traumatized that they need this kind of care not to die.  I'd LOVE to be one of those ladies!  We saw some here that were curious and funny and playful.. it was lovely.
 
What a great visit!!  Aunt Tirzy, you have to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment