Friday, July 11, 2014

Junior Master Chef camp

The kids were given a choice of several options for camps to keep them busy while in Jakarta this summer, and Eben chose cooking school.  I asked Jaffa if she wanted to go too, and she said that she orders take-out.  So there.
 
At Young Chef's Academy, you learn to follow a recipe and to watch the clock.  You don't make your own pastry dough, but you do bring home FOUR MEALS everyday.  No wonder it's so expensive.
 

Eben went for a week where they did food from all over the world: France, Australia, Tanzania (I need to get them some new recipes on that one), Russia, and on Friday, they had their final competition: Brazil.  [Note: I lied and said that Eben was 7 so that he wouldn't have to do kindercooks.. so everyone is older than him.]

There were three judges, and he had to present his food and how he made it.  A bit nerve-wracking for him, and parents had to stay behind the window. On his Brazilian beef stew and empanada, he scored 67 out of 90.  Not first place, but a good showing!

He seemed to have had a nice class, and he loved Pak Gori--the main instructor.  So, he'll go again for a few days next week, and I won't have to cook dinner :)

No comments:

Post a Comment