Monday, October 10, 2011

Food Part 4 - some new, some known

While we've been exploring some of the local fare, we also have had a tendency lately to go back to some of the things we know.. and seek out some of the things we love love love.

Indonesian

  
(left) This is fried manioc/casava with a sweet and very spicy sauce.  I need to learn how to make it so that I can do it baked because the grease kinda gets to you after the third bite.

(right) This is fried garlic, comes in a plastic container in the spice section.  Not greasy.  Now one of my favorite ingredients and I have to keep myself from eating a handful by itself.

Cake
Preface: Pammi loves her some cocktails (what a great friend to have!), but more importantly about her is that she is addicted to Nesquik.  A big glass every morning.  And she knows every store in Jakarta that stocks it, just in case.

Her birthday was last week, so I thought I would see what I could do with one of the two Nesquik cake recipes I could find anywhere.  I am not a fan of the stuff, but it turned out okay.. particularly because I smothered it in chocolate ganache and heavy whipped cream!



Breads


Eben enjoying, Theda hopeful


Another reason I might be able to survive the cheese problem here is because we found 'Le Croissant Francais'. See http://www.lecroissantfrancais.com/.  Weekend morning deliveries available for croissants (almond, butter, chocolate), apple turnovers, ECLAIRS, and nice breads. 




Challah, the two-strand version.  Six-strand and more to come. Found this GREAT instructor on UTube: Ciril Hitz.  Not sure that I'll ever brave the twelve-strand!

No comments:

Post a Comment